Wednesday, June 4, 2014

'Drole langue Francaise - Funny English Language' by K.J.S.Chatrath


Some years back I had written a few pieces on the subject of French words and phrases which sound strange to the English speaking world. Recently a fellow traveller from Australia with a fantastic sense of humour, Ian Jungwirth, put up some interesting such words on his wall. Supplemented by some more from the internet here we are.

In English, Franglais means a mangled combination of English and French, produced either by poor knowledge of one or the other language or for humorous effect. Franglais usually consists of either filling in gaps in one's knowledge of French with English words, using false friends with their incorrect meaning or speaking French in such a manner that (although ostensibly "French") would be incomprehensible to a French-speaker who does not also have a knowledge of English (for example, by using a literal translation of English idiomatic phrases). Let us take a look at a few of these.

Allons enfants de la patrie - Come on, kids, let's go to the party (With due respects to the French National Anthem)

Coup de grace - A lawn mower.

La deviation pour chauffeur de camion - My driver likes camels.

Pas de deux? - Father of twins?

Mange tout - You're pretty mangy yourself.

Pain prune - I cut myself with the secateurs.

Chaussee deformer? - Are you a contortionist?

Parke le char - My tea is cold.

Suivez la piste - Never mind, follow that drunk!

Moi aussi - I am an Australian.

Using a mix of English and French words in a sentence:

Longtemps, pas voir. – Long time, no see.

Je vais driver downtown. – I'm going to drive downtown. (Je vais aller en voiture au centre-ville)

Je suis tired. – I am tired. (Je suis fatigué)

Je ne care pas. – I don't care. (Ça m'est égal OR Je m'en fous)

J'agree. – I agree. (D'accord)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home